Halilovic oslobodjen!!!

Post Reply
User avatar
victory
Posts: 2201
Joined: 17/12/2002 00:00
Contact:

#201

Post by victory »

mozda nekog interesuje kako je halilovicev advokat prokomentarisao ovu oslobadjajucu presudu
Melbourne lawyer in war crimes case win

By Steve Butcher
November 21, 2005

A MELBOURNE lawyer has successfully defended a former Bosnian general on mass-murder charges at the International War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague.

Barrister Peter Morrissey was lead counsel for Sefer Halilovic, a Muslim commander accused over two massacres in 1993.

"I have to say we were all misty-eyed," Mr Morrissey said of his defence team when the acquittal was announced last week.

Mr Morrissey told The Age that, apart from his client's delight, "the most telling thing was the joy which spread throughout the tribunal.

"Staff, security guards, other defence teams and even anonymous prosecutors were all happy. Everyone knew that Sefer was a good guy," he said.

"The acquittal of a moderate Bosnian can't hurt the world too badly."

Before the verdict, Halilovic, 53, asked the defence team about his chances.

"We told him that everything rational pointed to an acquittal, that his good character would have a real effect," Mr Morrissey said.

"Then we all looked at each other powerlessly and fearfully."

Halilovic was charged after 63 men, women and children — including one prisoner of war — were shot in two incidents as soldiers of the Bosnia-Herzegovina army fought to capture territory held by Bosnian Croat forces.

Prosecutors at the United Nations tribunal argued that the forces responsible for the murders in Operation Neretva 93 were under the command and control of Halilovic.

Mr Morrissey, in his closing address, said Halilovic was "positively against ethnic hate" and argued that justice was "broader than justice for victims".

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/mel ... 45805.html
Post Reply