Kolektivna amnezija zločina nad bratunačkim Bošnjacima

Stranke, političari... Recite i Vi svoje mišljenje!
Guento

#1 Kolektivna amnezija zločina nad bratunačkim Bošnjacima

Post by Guento » 25/04/2007 09:47

Ko zna i umije, neka obavezno pročita ovaj izuzetni članak iz Newsday.com.
Usput, ne mogu da nađem nijedan topic vezan za najavljeni ukop u Bratuncu. Zar još niko nije pokrenuo raspravu o ovome (makar samo pljuvanjem, sikterisanjem, ebavanjemmatera itd)? Jučer vidim protestvovali veterani ovog zakonu odanog grada jer ukop nije u skladu sa Ustavom RS i odlukama lokalnih vlasti... Gdje je kraj sarkazmu i podlosti tih ljudi?

How quickly they forget the massacre

Bosnian village's selective memory of 1995 Muslim slayings slow to wear off amid atmosphere of fear
by MATTHEW McALLESTER,
[email protected]
April 22, 2007
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld ... news-print

BRATUNAC, Bosnia and Herzegovina - Something terrible happened in a very public place in the center of this small town in eastern Bosnia on a hot summer evening in 1995.

But ask around town and no one seems to have noticed the dozens of buses brought to the town's elementary school.

Nor did they see the 2,000 to 3,000 Muslim prisoners held inside the Vuk Karadzic school and in the packed buses parked on the streets outside.

Nor did they hear the gunshots and screams that rang out all night in and around the school.

"I confess I was prone to drinking in those days, and that night I was rather boozed up," a former Bosnian Serb soldier and town resident said in an interview with Newsday last week.

The town's collective amnesia, bolstered by more than a decade to get their stories straight, is a major obstacle prosecutors must contend with as they pursue their war crimes case against four of Bratunac's former residents, including two who were deported from the United States last year. The trial, which began Friday in Sarajevo, is the first for any former Yugoslav war crimes suspects who have been deported from the United States.

Protected by silence
Innocent or guilty, Mladen Blagojevic, Zdravko Bozic, Zeljko Zaric and Zoran Zivanovic will find themselves shielded to a certain degree by Bratunac's communal vow of silence.

"Allegedly crimes were committed here, but there's no evidence," Jovan Nikolic, current principal of the Vuk Karadzic school - since renamed Branko Radicevic school - said as he sat in his office last week.

But Bratunac's deliberate amnesia sometimes breaks down. The same people who begin conversations saying they know nothing about the events of July 13 and 14, 1995 - key hours in the overall Srebrenica massacre, which claimed the lives of more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys - often end up contradicting themselves, acknowledging a degree of their own complicity and exposing their true feelings.

Toward the end of a long conversation last week with school staff about what did or did not happen in the very place they now work, one furious Serb woman could contain her emotions no longer. "They deserved it," she shouted, referring to the murder of the Muslim men and boys who were imprisoned there that night in 1995 before Serb soldiers bused many of them elsewhere for execution and burial in mass graves.

The simple geography of Bratunac betrays the lies of so many of its inhabitants. It is a small, rundown place, not much more than a village. The main road leads into town from the west, and much of the town is clustered on either side of that road.

The school is at the end of a short street that leads off the main road. It is one of the largest buildings in town and directly visible from the main road. You could walk there from that road in two or three minutes. You could walk there from most parts of Bratunac in a few more minutes.

Numerous witnesses, both survivors and perpetrators, have described the scene in Bratunac that night in trials at the UN tribunal in The Hague: Many civilians came to the school to look at the prisoners; there were soldiers and vehicles all over town; the buses full of prisoners were highly visible, and the noise from the shooting at the school was audible around the town, all night.

It was no secret operation. People knew. Many participated. And with persistent questioning, 12 years after the crime, some have begun to open up.

The truth comes out
"I could hear shooting," said the man who at first insisted he was drunk all night and noticed nothing. "Of course people were shooting. ... God knows who was shooting - and whether it was in the air or at people. You could only hear the shooting."

He continued: "There were some buses in front of the school, and prisoners were sleeping on them." The conversation moved on, and his initial claim that he had not seen the buses arrive or depart was forgotten; he admitted riding as the sole armed guard on a bus full of prisoners from the Vuk Karadzic school to another village, where they later were executed.

In a second conversation, he opened up some more. "It was very quiet" on the bus, he said. "There was some casual talk, but mostly they were silent. Probably they were afraid. They even talked to me and asked where they were heading, and I told them they were going to be exchanged because that's what I had been told."

"In the evening there was shooting," he said. "I got off the bus because I wanted to stretch my legs. There was shooting - all night."

What he was hearing was the sound of mass executions a few buildings away. The next day, he said, he directed the prisoners into a guarded building in the village and drove away in the bus.

Another man, also a soldier in the Bratunac Brigade - as was just about every military-age man in town - initially said in an interview that he was posted out of sight and earshot of the school on July 13 and 14. Pressed further, he acknowledged: "I saw trucks as I was passing by. Mostly buses. The buses were full at that time. They were leaving. I didn't think anything about that. I was just eating, drinking, sleeping, going about my business."

Other people around Bratunac cling fiercely to their claims of ignorance and innocence. Milenija Nikolic is the mother of one of the town's - and Bosnia's - most notorious convicted war criminals, Momir Nikolic. As part of a deal struck with prosecutors at The Hague tribunal, her son gave a detailed statement of facts about what happened in and around Bratunac in July 1995.

He currently is serving 20 years in prison, and there is angry talk around town that in return for early parole, he may testify in the trial of the four men, who were under his command during the war. Turncoats and traitors are not looked upon kindly in Bratunac.

Little tolerance for betrayal
In spite of Nikolic's detailed confession, which many here see as a betrayal of comrades, his mother proclaimed his innocence.

"Whenever I think of him I get upset," said Milenija Nikolic, 74. "My heart yearns for him."

Did he deserve to go to prison?

"No," she said, taking a break from tilling her onions in the field in front of her house.

Some people in Bratunac suggested it would be unwise for her son ever to show his face again in town. His wife and children moved away two years ago, locals said, and are believed to be living in northern Europe.

It is this atmosphere of intimidation and collusion that keeps people silent.

"Why should I be bothered?" asked Momcilo Peric, principal of the town's other elementary school, which rather confusingly has taken on the name of the Vuk Karadzic school. He, too, was in the Bratunac Brigade in July 1995 but said he was not in town on July 13 or 14 and does not want to know who did what on those dates.

"My conscience is clear, and there's no need for me to dig into anything that could disclose things," he said. "We live in such times that it's not such a good idea to dig. ... I'm not curious by nature."

The fear extends to some of the few Muslims in the now predominantly Serbian town. One Muslim woman who was happy to be interviewed by a Newsday reporter more than a year ago suddenly left town on urgent business when contacted last week.

Despite all the fear in Bratunac, there are some people here who are happy to go on the record about the crimes committed and the importance of bringing those responsible to justice.

Senad Avdic, 44, is a Muslim who runs a cafe and small guesthouse. As a former Muslim soldier, he fought against neighbors who were in the Bosnian Serb army. And he lives, he believes, among the killers of his father, who was among the more than 7,000 men killed in the Srebrenica operation.

"It's good for the community to finally face the truth," he said. "As it is now, it looks like evil happened and no one was responsible for it. ... It's about time there was some justice."

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.

Maraschino

Post by Maraschino » 25/04/2007 16:40

Ko zna i umije, neka obavezno pročita ovaj izuzetni članak iz Newsday.com.
Usput, ne mogu da nađem nijedan topic vezan za najavljeni ukop u Bratuncu. Zar još niko nije pokrenuo raspravu o ovome (makar samo pljuvanjem, sikterisanjem, ebavanjemmatera itd)? Jučer vidim protestvovali veterani ovog zakonu odanog grada jer ukop nije u skladu sa Ustavom RS i odlukama lokalnih vlasti... Gdje je kraj sarkazmu i podlosti tih ljudi?
Nista nas ne moze iznenaditi pa ni to.Nije lako tim ljudima da u buducnosti prolaze pored groblja i objasnjavaju djeci odakle ti grobovi bas tu,kako su zrtve stradale :? itd.Ko ima pravo da odredjuje gdje ce se zrtve genocida sahraniti,mozda dzelati isti oni koji su ih mucki ubijali kako na kucnim pragovima tako i po sumama progoneci ih kao zvijeri.Zrtve nisu mogle nista da biraju,drugi su im presudili i sada ti drugi trebaju jos da odlucuju gdje ce ko biti sahranjen.Fuj.
Znam isto tako da su i Bratunacki Srbi stradali ali gdje? Na ratistima sirom BiH pokusavajuci siriti fasisticku tvorevinu koju je u svojoj glavi zamislio Karadzic.

Bosanac_21

Post by Bosanac_21 » 25/04/2007 16:48

:( :( :( :(
Zalosno sto ovaj rat, onog ko je svasta pretrpio, na kraju nista nije naucio.
Dok nam se svaki dan servira negiranje agresije, etnickog ciscenja, genocida,
...... stavljanje veta o stvarima zbog kojih je narod gubio zivot, mi i dalje
sutimo i preko svega toga prelazimo. :x

hejter

Post by hejter » 25/04/2007 17:01

Bosanac_21 wrote::( :( :( :(
Zalosno sto ovaj rat, onog ko je svasta pretrpio, na kraju nista nije naucio.
Dok nam se svaki dan servira negiranje agresije, etnickog ciscenja, genocida,
...... stavljanje veta o stvarima zbog kojih je narod gubio zivot, mi i dalje
sutimo i preko svega toga prelazimo. :x
Sta sugerises??
Ja samo znam da se ovi u RS nebi dobro proveli da krene neko sranje!

ponekad mislim, dokle cemo mi biti ti fini momci i da svima oprastamo i dozvoljavamo razna sranja!!!!!!!!! :x